Violet

Some years ago I came across a pretty little £1 plate in a car boot sale, it was an interesting Art Deco style shape with a pink tulip, my favourite flower hand painted onto a molded surface.   Turning it over I discovered that is was made by Carlton ware and a little further research dated it to the late 1930's.  It wasn't until much later that I discovered that my little plate was designed by a young woman called Violet Elmer.
                                      (The little plate I bought is hidden in here somewhere)

Oxfordshire born Violet Elmer was contacted by Cuthbert Wiltshaw of Carlton ware when she was in her late teens after she did well in a national art competition, this resulted in her moving to Stoke-on-Trent and becoming a designer for Carlton ware when she was just 21 years of age.
Violet was inspired by the elegance of the Art Deco style and she contributed to it greatly through her geometric and exotic ceramic designs. She transformed the shape as well as the images projected onto the pots, demonstrating a love for nature as well as fantasy.  It's fair to say she also transformed the fortunes of the factory.
The value of Carlton ware has fluctuated quite dramatically over time, but Violet Elmer's Best Ware pieces have remained sought after and the prices higher as a result.  In my opinion her designs were more unique, detailed and even spectacular than many of the named female designers of her time, this includes Clarice Cliff, Susie Vooper and Carlotta Rhead. I would like her name to be known and this blog is my offering to the cause.




Comments